Get Help


Here are answers to frequently asked questions:


How can I get a food voucher? 

Firstly, you need to get help and advice regarding your crisis or financial situation. If you already access a support  agency or support worker please speak to them about your situation. Below are a couple of money advice agency numbers that you can contact to receive help and advice. (These agencies can also refer clients to a local foodbank).

Birmingham Settlement, Money Advice Centre, Birmingham Settlement, 359–361 Witton Road, Birmingham, B6 6NS debt advice centre based in Newtown – contact them on 0121 250 3000 or by emailing [email protected]. Visit their website

Citizens Advice Bureau (Birmingham City Centre) – Ground Floor, Gazette Buildings, 168 Corporation Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B4 6TF. Tel no: 08444 77 1010 (information helpline. 9:30 – 4:30 Mon-Fri) (or 0300 330 0650 if from a mobile).

Click here for a list of our other referral agencies.

Where is my nearest foodbank centre?

Please go to the locations page to find the address and opening times of each of our foodbank centres. Please note you must have a foodbank voucher to receive help from the foodbank. If you don’t have a voucher please contact us to find out how to get a voucher.

How does my organisation make a referral to the foodbank?

Birmingham Central Foodbank works with frontline care agencies based in Ladywood ward, Soho ward and parts of the surround areas including Hockley, Newtown, Lozells and Edgbaston. We are also working with a small selection of citywide agencies outside the area. Frontline agencies become registered foodbank distributors and hold vouchers which are given directly to an individual or family in crisis who then collects the food parcel from the foodbank.

If you are not one of our registered agencies and you have a client in need of emergency  food we would be happy to take an initial referral letter from you for your client detailing the nature of their crisis, name and address of the client and the number of adults and children in the family.

If a number of your clients are in need of emergency food support you may want to consider signing up with us as a distributor of our vouchers.

Please click here to inquiry about signing up to the foodbank.

What’s in a typical food parcel?

A typical food parcel contains a minimum of three days of nutritionally balanced, non-perishable, tinned and dried foods that have been donated by the local community. A typical food parcel includes: breakfast cereal, soup, pasta, rice, pasta sauce, baked beans, tinned meat, tinned vegetables, instant mash, UHT milk, tea, coffee, sugar, tinned dessert and biscuits.

Can the parcel be adapted to special dietary requirements?

Our foodbank can usually adapt your food parcel to suit your dietary needs. Just let them know when you arrive with your voucher. We can provide specific parcels for a range of needs including people with diabetes, gluten intolerance, vegetarians and halal. We will also endeavour to adapt your parcel to accommodate any food allergies you indicate.

Will the food parcel cater for my whole family?

Our foodbank will adapt your food parcel according to the number of adults and children indicated on your voucher. They will also endeavour to provide foods that are age appropriate and in suitable quantities for your children. We can sometimes offer baby foods, but not SMA milk.

I have a baby, can you help with supplies of nappies and baby food?

Our foodbank usually carries a small stock of nappies and baby foods, which we can add to your parcel. Please let the foodbank know when you arrive if you need additional items for your baby. We will also signpost you to local provision of further support where possible.

Back to Get Help